We’re excited to announce Avvo legal expert Lisa Bloom will host a takeover of the @Avvo twitter handle on Thursday, June 23rd at 4pm PST, to discuss the impact of last year’s Obergefell v Hodges Supreme Court decision, which made same-sex marriage the law of the land. It’ll be a real-time conversation about the personal, legal, and cultural effects of the ruling for our lives and our country. We invite you to participate on Twitter by following @Avvo, the #LoveintheUS hashtag, or joining us at http://www.tweetchat.com/room/loveintheus.
Lisa’s perspective as a high profile civil rights and family lawyer is invaluable, but so are the insights of every one of you, so we’re looking forward to hearing your thoughts. We’ll also have Nika Kabiri, Avvo’s Directory of Consumer Research (@n_kabiri on Twitter), on hand to provide further insight from our recent #LoveintheUS study that looked at changing attitudes about relationships, love, and divorce across America.
Here are a few questions to start with, but we encourage you to leave comments with your own questions here, too.
- How has the ruling impacted your life personally? Professionally?
- Avvo Research reports that approval of same sex marriage has gone from 43% to 48% since May 2015. Do you see this in your own life?
- What does marriage equality really mean and what are the next steps to achieving it?
- How do legal issues, like adoption, child custody, and wills, differ for same sex couples?
- What do you think we’ll see in the future in terms of Religious Freedom laws and civil dissenters?
- Do you feel like the Supreme Court is successful at trying to protect you and your family?
- Have your views changed over the last year? If so, why?
To read more on what Avvo learned from the #LoveintheUS study, check out these articles. Hope to hear from you!
(note: Participants are asked to follow the Avvo Community Guidelines, listed here)