Florida homeowner in danger of foreclosure wins free legal services from an Avvo lawyer
Seattle, Wash — Avvo, Inc. (www.avvo.com), the only free website that empowers consumers to handle their legal matters with confidence, announced the winner of its Save My House contest: The Family of Four, Sharon and Robert, from Port Richey, Florida.
Avvo launched the Save My House contest in Florida to educate homeowners facing foreclosure how the legal process can help them retain ownership of their most valuable asset.
After reviewing hundreds of submissions from homeowners throughout Florida, Avvo narrowed it down to five finalists. Next, the Avvo user community voted, and as a result the Family of Four was selected as the winner of legal services to be covered by Avvo.
“We’re happy to work with Avvo to try to save Sharon and Robert’s home from foreclosure,” said Leavengood. “We see many families in similar situations throughout the Tampa Bay area. Despite the many challenges these individuals face, our experience has shown there are often options available to people if they know what steps to take and where to find the right help.”
Read Sharon and Robert’s story now.
“We received many stories from Florida families in tough situations, and are pleased to work with a top-rated Avvo lawyer to help someone out,” said Mark Britton, Founder and CEO of Avvo. “In doing so, we also hope to educate homeowners of their legal rights, and let people know there are good lawyers that will fight for their case.”
For the many homeowners still in danger of foreclosure, Florida attorney Margery Golant offers some key situations to know when a foreclosure lawyer can make a difference:
1) Have you experienced a communication gap or disconnect between you and your mortgage company? Have you sent them information they claim to not have received in the hope they will agree to a modification? Perhaps they’ve claimed to have sent certain documents to the investor, but you don’t believe they have? This is one example where a knowledgeable lawyer might be able to assist you in obtaining relief.
2) Are your mortgage payments higher than what was promised at closing? Did you discover after the fact that your mortgage payment did not include property taxes and insurance? This is an example of a situation where a knowledgeable attorney might be able to assist you in obtaining relief.
3) Are you underwater on your house and have a first and second mortgage? Is the value of your home less than the total you owe on your first (primary mortgage)? This is an example of a situation where a knowledgeable attorney might be able to assist you in obtaining relief.
4) Were you served foreclosure papers from a company you do not recognize? Is it not the lender you borrowed from? If so, a knowledgeable attorney can investigate what has taken place and really determine if the foreclosure case is defensible.
5) Did you take a hit to your income and miss some mortgage payments, but now are back with stable employment and working to regain good financial standing and still can’t get your mortgage company to work with you? Generally mortgage companies require a reinstatement of all missed payments. However, if you now have a steady income, a knowledgeable attorney might be able to assist you in resolving the situation and ultimately help save your house.
Avvo is the only free website that empowers consumers to handle their legal matters with confidence. Avvo offers ratings and profiles for every lawyer, as well as client reviews, peer reviews and attorney disciplinary records. Avvo also offers the world’s largest question and answer forum where people can ask real attorneys – anonymously if desired – any legal question and receive personalized answers. Additionally, Avvo Legal Guides are a resource of lawyer-generated best practices for consumers seeking guidance on their legal issues. The website currently covers all 50 states in the United States and the District of Columbia. Founded in early 2006, Avvo is privately held, with funding from private investors, Benchmark Capital, Ignition Partners and DAG Ventures. For more information, visit www.avvo.com.