Home remodeling questions surged in May from consumers in seventy percent of US metros
Seattle, Wash — Avvo, Inc., the web’s largest expert-only legal Q&A forum, directory and legal marketplace (http://www.avvo.com),today released a set of legal guides that address the most common questions consumers have about home remodeling, including considerations about contracts, hiring of contractors and what happens when problems arise. The legal guides, authored by attorneys with subject matter expertise, include:
- How to Hire a Home Improvement Contractor
- Safeguarding the Owner in a Home Improvement Contract
- Avoiding Home Improvement Headaches
- How to Protect Yourself From Bad Contractors (video)
“Data from the U.S. Census Bureau shows that this is a popular time of year for homeowners to embark on home improvement projects,” said Seattle-based construction and real estate attorney Katie Comstock. “Many states have implemented Home Improvement Acts to protect both homeowners and contractors, but it’s in both parties best interest to have a well-written contract in place before any work is performed.”
A selection of the home improvement questions asked during the month of May by consumers from across the country includes:
- Bad Contractor. Is there any course of action or is it too late? Can I hire someone else and then bill the first contractor?
- If I terminate a contractor in the middle of a project, is the warranty in their contract still good?
- How do I prove breach of contract for my reason to cancel payment on a home improvement project?
- How can I have my bathroom remodel billed?
About Avvo, Inc.
Avvo.com is the web’s largest legal Q&A forum, directory and legal marketplace (http://www.avvo.com), connecting hundreds of thousands of consumers and lawyers every month. In Avvo’s Q&A forum consumers can get free legal advice 24/7 from more than 125,000 participating lawyers, and Avvo’s directory provides comprehensive profiles, client reviews, peer endorsements and the industry-recognized Avvo Rating for more than 95 percent of all lawyers in the U.S. The Avvo Legal Marketplace, currently available for traffic tickets and divorce cases, revolutionizes how consumers find and hire an attorney. In addition, Avvo helps lawyers grow their business with Avvo Ignite, a cloud-based marketing platform and website solution designed specifically for attorneys. Founded in 2007, Avvo is privately held with funding from Benchmark Capital, DAG Ventures and Ignition Partners.