“Can I sue the company that prepared my taxes?” and other tax-related questions surge more than 140% during tax season
Seattle, Wash — April 4, 2013 – Avvo, Inc., the web’s largest expert-only legal Q&A forum, directory and legal marketplace (http://www.avvo.com),announced a 143% increase in tax-related questions submitted to the site’s Q&A forum between January and March 2013, compared to the previous six months. An analysis of the most asked tax-related questions on Avvo this year identified the following trends compared to previous years:
- A significant increase in the number of consumers asking if they can sue their tax preparation company for mistakes.
- Double-digit growth year-over-year in the number of questions related to filing taxes during divorce.
- “When are Schedule K-1s due to partners?” is the most viewed question, for the second year in a row.
Five of the most common tax-related questions asked on Avvo.com in 2013 include:
- My husband and I are still legally married, but separated. How should I file my taxes?
- How does the IRS check unpaid taxes?
- Is the tax preparation company I used liable for mistakes?
- How do I correct a mistake on a tax return?
- What are the legal implications of not giving my social security number to a former employer for their 1099 tax form?
“Tax season can be a stressful time for many individuals and companies alike who want to ensure accurate and timely completion of their tax returns,” said Florida-based tax attorney Christin Bucci. New guidelines are issued by the IRS just about every year and Avvo is a great resource to help taxpayers with questions seek assistance from licensed tax attorneys.”
More information can be found on the Tax topic page: http://www.avvo.com/topics/2392-tax
About Avvo, Inc.
Avvo.com is the web’s largest legal Q&A forum, directory and legal marketplace (http://www.avvo.com), connecting hundreds of thousands of consumers and lawyers every month. In Avvo’s Q&A forum consumers can get free legal advice 24/7 from more than 125,000 participating lawyers, and Avvo’s directory provides comprehensive profiles, client reviews, peer endorsements and the industry-recognized Avvo Rating for more than 95 percent of all lawyers in the U.S. The Avvo Legal Marketplace, currently available for traffic tickets and divorce cases, revolutionizes how consumers find and hire an attorney. In addition, Avvo helps lawyers grow their business with Avvo Ignite, a cloud-based marketing platform and website solution designed specifically for attorneys. Founded in 2007, Avvo is privately held with funding from Benchmark Capital, DAG Ventures and Ignition Partners.
Avvo and Avvo Ignite are trademarks or registered trademarks of Avvo, Inc.