Author: Brette Sember


Brette Sember is a former attorney and author of more than 40 books, including The Divorce Organizer & Planner, The Complete Divorce, How to Parent with Your Ex, The Essential Supervisor’s Handbook, The Complete Credit Repair Kit, The Original Muffin Tin Cookbook, and The Gluten-Free Guide to Travel. She writes often about law, parenting, food, travel, health, and more. She blogs at

How to legally rent to tenants with disabilities

The Fair Housing Act requires landlords to make certain adjustments—legally described as “accommodations”—at their own expense, for the needs of tenants with disabilities. Yes, that sounds pricey, but note that the law says the accommodations must be “reasonable.”

Why can’t we afford mandatory kindergarten?

Substantial research shows that early childhood education improves brain development, increases the chances of succeeding in school, and improves a child’s economic future. So it seems odd that kindergarten is not required throughout the United States

How to speed up your divorce

If you can’t reach a settlement immediately, look at what’s worth fighting for. Depending on the circumstances, you might be tempted to contest everything out of spite. Don’t waste time and effort haggling over things you don’t truly need.

Is your company on the hook if you’re hacked?

Customers are responsible for choosing usernames and passwords that comply with internet safety recommendations. Nonetheless, if your company’s systems are hacked and customer data is stolen, you are responsible for the breach and the resultant damage.

How many government services will the elderly lose?

The new budget proposed by President Trump has imperiled a number of that Act’s provisions, most famously, the components that pertain to the “Meals on Wheels” program. But as the GOP-led government continues searching for ways to slash spending, the scope and effectiveness of the Act in general will likely be greatly diminished well beyond just that specific program.

Should First Lady be a paid position?

Some have proposed that because we expect an active First Lady to essentially give up her own goals and career and devote herself to four (or eight) years of service to the country, she ought to get a salary just as the president does.